Six Ways to Wellbeing
What are the Six Ways to Wellbeing?
They can be quick, simple things like saying hello, giving way to another driver or pausing to look out of the window.
They can also be longer term projects, such as starting a hobby, recycling regularly or going for a walk every day.
Find out about the Six Ways to Wellbeing:
The Wheel logo is (c) SLaM and the Wheel to Wellbeing video was created and produced by SLaM www.slam.nhs.uk.
Research shows that these Six ways –Be Active, Keep Learning, Give, Connect, Take Notice, Care for the Planet – can improve your mood, strengthen your relationships and help you cope when life doesn’t go to plan.
Want some ideas on what you can do? Click on the links above and see how other people in Kent are doing simple, enjoyable things that make a big difference to how they feel.
1. Be Active… Go for a walk or run. Step outside. Cycle. Play a game. Garden. Dance. Exercising makes you feel good. Most importantly, discover a physical activity that you enjoy; one that suits your level of mobility and fitness. Click here for some ways to Be Active.
2. Keep Learning … Try something new. Rediscover an old interest. Sign up for that course. Take on a different responsibility at work. Fix a bike. Learn to play an instrument or how to cook your favourite food. Set a challenge you will enjoy achieving. Learning new things will make you more confident, as well as being fun to do. Click here for some more ways to Keep Learning.
3. Give … Do something nice for a friend, or a stranger. Thank someone. Smile. Volunteer your time. Join a community group. Look out, as well as in. Seeing yourself, and your happiness, linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding and will create connections with the people around you. Click here for some ways to Give.
4. Connect … With the people around you. With family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. At home, work, school or in your local community. Think of these as the cornerstones of your life and invest time in developing them. Building these connections with support and enrich you every day. Click here for some ways to Connect.
5. Take Notice … Be curious. Catch sight of the beautiful. Remark on the unusual. Notice the changing seasons. Savour the moment, whether you are on a train, eating lunch or talking to friends. Be aware of the world around you and what you are feeling. Reflecting on your experiences will help you appreciate what matters to you. Click here for some ways to Take Notice.
6. Care for the planet … look after your community and the world. Make small changes to your life that will reduce your energy use, recycle more, leave the car at home, use low energy light bulbs, small steps to a greener life can make a difference. Click here to find out some more ways to Care for the planet.
Live It Well is promoting better wellbeing for the residents of Kent and Medway.
These are actions that are shown by research to improve people’s wellbeing. They can’t change our circumstances but building them into our daily lives can help us feel better, no matter what our starting point. The list was drawn up by an independent think tank, the new economics foundation, which was commissioned by the government’s Foresight Project on Mental Capital and Wellbeing to review evidence on improving wellbeing in research studies from around the world. Click here for more on the nef’s work on Wellbeing or to see their report on Five Ways to Wellbeing click here.
“It’s about finding that thing that you enjoy doing and doing more of that, rather than forcing yourself to do something that actually you are not going to be able to do.” Tony Coggins, DIY Happiness
The Wheel To Wellbeing is owned by South London and Maudsley NHS Trust (SLaM) and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share-Alike 4.0 International License.
Information on this Licence is available at www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0